2019 - 2020 Convention Reports
The Georgia Association of Nursing Students 67th Annual
GANS Convention: Pick Your Own Destination
October 24, 25, and 26th at The Classic Center Athens, GA
A total of 97 Mercer University nursing students attended the convention, the majority attended all three convention days days.
- The College seated 31 delegates in all of the sessions of House of Delegates (61 students credentialed: 31 delegated / 31 alternates)
- Students learned parliamentary procedure; stated the Nightingale pledge; and participated House of Delegate proceedings
- The College resolution was presented in the resolution hearings as part of the House of Delegates by two of our senior students; the resolution was passed by the House of Delegates. The title of our resolution was: IN SUPPORT OF EDUCATING ADULTS REGARDING IMPORTANCE OF VACCINATING CHILDREN TO PREVENT ERADICATED DISEASE REAPPEARANCE
- Students were able to participate in discussion / debate that occurred over other resolutions.
- Students participated in focus sessions, including topics such as: cardiac rhythm interpretation, shock, sepsis, fluid overload, renal, resume writing, how to interview, and role opportunities in nursing. Simulations were available to attendees, as well.
- Students supported Professor Fran Kamp (GBANS Advisor), as she became part of the NICU panel in a focus session
- The Exhibit Hall offered students the opportunity to visit recruiters for prospective employment opportunities.
- One GBCN student was pre-slated and 4 additional students added their names to the slate while at convention. Candidates campaigned and held caucus. Election results:
- 2nd Vice President: Emma Miller
- Secretary: Zhinea Thomas
- West District Director: Dana Chen
- Community Service Director: Kianna Sanders
- Breakthrough to Nursing Director: Perrie Gooden
The College also received several awards at the state convention
- Website of the Year
- Financial Excellence Award
- West district Chapter of the Year
- Advisor of the Year (Professor Fran Kamp)
- Banner competition
Dean Streit and Associate Dean Barber attended the convention to support students. Lunch was sponsored by members of the nursing Admissions Office and a pizza dinner was supported by Deans Streit and Barber. Snacks were provided by advisors and D2D grant throughout the convention.
The Mid-Year Convention will be held in Chicago October 31 - November 2, 2019. Nkenna Njoku and Emma Miller will represent the College.
The National Student Nurses Convention will be held April 15 - 19, 2020.