Family Nurse Practitioner
Complete the application.
- Graduation from an accredited baccalaureate nursing program; accredited by the national League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). International students should contact the Admissions Office directly.
- An undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75 – 2.99 on a 4.0 scale in the upper division undergraduate nursing courses may be conditionally accepted. Conditionally accepted students maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher during one semester of full-time coursework or two semesters of part-time coursework will have their conditional status removed. NOTE: Students with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA are rarely accepted.
- A current unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Georgia.
- Satisfactory score on either the Miller's Analogy Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five years. Codes for submission of GRE score are Mercer University Atlanta: R5025; Nursing Department/Major Code: 0610. The College of Nursing code for the MAT is #1109. Prior graduate level coursework may exempt the student from the MAT or GRE requirement.
- A 300-word essay describing professional goals and reason for seeking graduate education.
- A minimum of one year of work experience as a professional Registered Nurse. An applicant with less work experience may be admitted on a part-time basis or by permission of the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs. FNP applicants are strongly encouraged to have one year of experience prior to application.
- Three letters of professional reference from individuals who can address the applicant's ability to successfully complete graduate study. At least one of the letters must be from a master's degree prepared nurse. Applicants who have completed graduate level coursework within the last five (5) years in a nursing program must include a faculty reference from that program.
- International student applicants, or students whose prior basic education was completed in another country, must demonstrate proficiency in English in one of the following ways:
Submit an official score report of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) from the Educational Testing Service. A composite score of 80 is required on the TOEFL, as well as minimum scores of 18 in each of the subtests in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Complete the Mercer University English Language Institute (MUELI). Students enrolled in the Mercer University ELI program may register for up to six credit hours in graduate studies, with approval of the student's academic advisor, while completing the upper levels of the ELI program at Mercer University
- An interview with the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs or faculty designee.
- Completion of an on-site wiring component for admission evaluation.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee payable by check or money order.