Admission Requirements for the Master of Science in Nursing Program
MSN Admission Requirements
- Graduation from a baccalaureate nursing program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA), or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). International students should contact the Admissions Office directly.
- An undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75 – 2.99 on a 4.0 scale in the upper division undergraduate nursing courses may be conditionally accepted. Conditionally accepted students maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher during one semester of full-time coursework or two semesters of part-time coursework will have their conditional status removed.
- A current unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Georgia.
- Satisfactory score on either the Miller's Analogy Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five years.
- Use both codes for submission of GRE to the College of Nursing:
- R5025 is the code for Mercer University Atlanta Campus
- Use major code (Nursing) #1610
- The Code for the MAT is #1109
- NOTE: Prior graduate level course work may exempt the student from the MAT/GRE requirement.
- An introductory cover letter describing professional goals and reasons for seeking graduate education.
- A minimum of one year of work experience as a professional Registered Nurse. An applicant with less work experience may be admitted on a part-time basis or by permission of the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs. Nurse practitioner track applicants are strongly encouraged to have one year of experience prior to application.
- Three professional references from individuals who can address the applicant's ability to successfully complete graduate study. At least one reference must be from a nurse prepared at the master's degree or higher. Applicants who have completed BSN coursework within the last five (5) years must include a faculty reference from that program.
- International student applicants, or students whose prior basic education was completed in another country, should refer to the International Applicant information website by clicking here.
- An interview with the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs or faculty designee.
- Completion of an on-site wiring component for admission evaluation.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee payable by check or money order.
Admission criteria for the AGACNP Post Master's Certificate Program can be found in the 2016-2017 Catalog, p. 679.