May 2017 Ceremony Information
Celebrate the completion of your program of study!
All nursing students, regardless of degree awarded, are expected to be aware of Pinning/Hooding and Commencement preparation guidelines. Please review the following guidelines to enhance your preparation for these events. It is a REQUIREMENT that all students apply for graduation: https://registrar.mercer.edu/atlanta/forms.cfm. Failure to apply during the time period established by the Office of the Registrar may delay your graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of all College and University degree requirements as published in the College Catalog. Students must also assure that such requirements have been met and filed in the Office of the Registrar. The nursing fee for graduation is charged to graduates, regardless of participation in Pinning or Commencement ceremonies.
Pre-licensure BSN and RN-BSN students:
- Complete and submit transcripts for all general education and prerequisite courses to the Registrar’s office by 5:00 p.m. the Monday prior to pinning and commencement ceremonies in order to participate.
- Students being commissioned into the armed forces upon completion of their program may request to be commissioned during the Pinning ceremony. Requests for commissioning must be submitted to the Associate Dean for the Undergraduate Program by the second Friday in March prior to commencement. Graduates being commissioned wear their uniform under the academic regalia and remove regalia for the commissioning component of the ceremony.
- GBCN pins are purchased and provided for all BSN graduates by the GBCN Alumni during the pinning ceremony. Attendance at the ceremony is expected in order to receive the sponsored College pin. Only BSN graduates receive a pin from the College. Lost or stolen pins can be ordered through the campus bookstore at the graduate’s expense.
All degree students (BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD):
- All “holds” and debts to Mercer University must be cleared by 5:00 p.m. the Monday prior to pinning and commencement in order to participate in the Pinning or Commencement ceremonies.
- Academic regalia must be worn for participation in the Pinning/Hooding and Commencement ceremonies. Graduates arriving without appropriate academic regalia will not be permitted to participate in Pinning/Hooding or Commencement ceremonies. Honor and academic cords received in accordance with Mercer University (not previously attended colleges/universities) are approved to be worn with regalia. The Mercer University academic stole may also be worn but is not a requirement.
- The last date to order the required Cap and Gown (and hood, if applicable) is the second Friday in March at Herff Jones. Regalia is expected to be available for pick up at the Mercer Atlanta Bookstore 3 weeks prior to commencement but no later than 2 weeks prior to commencement. It is important that caps, gowns, and hoods be uniform in appearance. It is not appropriate to “borrow” regalia from previous years, as it will not match. Any questions related to Cap and Gown should be directed to the Mercer Atlanta Bookstore by calling (678) 547-6350.
- If you have a change in your mailing address of record with the University, please notify Stephanie Jordan by email to jordan_sz@Mercer.edu. Notification must be made to the University by the Friday immediately before commencement to receive the diploma at the new address on record.
- The last date to order your graduation announcements to send to family and friends is the first Friday in May at Herff Jones.
Nursing Pinning and Hooding Ceremony
The Nursing Pinning and Hooding Ceremony will be held on Friday, May 12 • 9:00 a.m.
Graduates are expected to be in place at 8:00a.m. in regalia. Regalia attire is required for participation.
Location of ceremony:
Second–Ponce de Leon Baptist Church
2715 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30305
Directions can be found at: http://www.spdl.org/about/directions/
- There is no guest limit and no parking passes or tickets are necessary for graduates or guests
- A reception will follow the ceremony
Atlanta Commencement Ceremony
Nursing students attend the Mercer University Atlanta Commencement Ceremony on the Mercer University: Cecil B. Day Atlanta Campus - Upper Field. Driving directions for your guests will be included in the Commencement Handbook.
The event is scheduled for Saturday, May 13, 8:30 a.m. Graduates need to arrive by 7:00am and are not permitted to leave until the end of the ceremony. The ceremony typically ends by 11:00am.
- There is no guest limit. Guests do not require special parking passes. For Mobility Impaired Guests, you may request one (1) Mobility Impaired Parking Pass for reserved space in the East lot on the campus adjacent to the Commencement event area. For individuals accompanying a mobility-impaired guest, you are limited to two (2) “sit with” tickets available per graduate. No exceptions to this number of tickets can be made. You must request your Mobility Impaired Parking Pass and/or seating tickets no later than second Friday in April by completing the Mobility Impaired Request Form. Following submission of the official request form, the pass and driving instructions will be sent to your mobility-impaired guest by mail. Mobility impaired guests will need to bring their own wheelchairs and walkers.
- GRADUATES must park in the Graduates Reserved Parking on the campus. Information will be sent to you in the Commencement Handbook in late March.
- There is no reception after the ceremony
- The ceremony will proceed rain or shine. If the ceremony must be canceled due to threatening weather, there is no rescheduled date.
Graduates are expected to arrive by 7:00a.m. in regalia and are lined up starting in the Sheffield Gym
- Graduates are called by name to the stage and each graduate receives a graduation diploma cover. The official diploma is mailed to the address on file in the Office of the Registrar. Please ensure this office has your most updated address.
For further Commencement details go to: https://commencement.mercer.edu/atlanta/