Frequently Asked Questions - Transfer Students
Undergraduate Degree - Atlanta Campus
1. What kind of undergraduate degree will I earn from Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University (GBCN of Mercer)?
A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree.
2. Do I need to apply to Mercer University before applying to the nursing program in Atlanta?
No, students interested in pursuing a degree in nursing should complete the Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University application to be considered for admission to the nursing program.
3. Can I apply online?
Applicants are encouraged to apply online. Apply Now for Fall 2017!
Please note: An online BSN application may be submitted by pre-licensure students only. If you are currently a registered nurse, you will submit a different application. For applicants who are licensed Registered Nurses seeking the BSN degree: RN BSN Completion Track Application
4. If I applied to GBCN last year, am I required to submit a new application to apply again?
Applications are kept on file for two years. You are required to submit a new application if you wish to apply again. If nothing has changed with your transcripts, you do not have to resubmit those. If you have taken additional courses, you are required to submit new transcripts. It's not required to submit a new essay but it is highly recommeded. You will have to submit new TEAS scores, as scores are only valid for one academic year.
5. What documents are required to complete my admissions file?
- Completed GBCN of Mercer application (listed under #3 above)
- Application fee ($50) made payable to Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University
- Official transcripts from any college, university, or technical college ever attended. (Documents must be postmarked by the admission deadline)
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) score report (For pre-licensure applicants only)
- International student applicants should click here for additional information.
6. Does GBCN of Mercer University require an entrance examination for pre-licensure students?
Yes, GBCN requires that pre-licensure applicants sit for the (TEAS), which is a nationally normed exam that assesses the applicant's potential for success in a nursing curriculum. For testing dates and locations please visit ATI Testing.
7. What are the deadlines?
Undergraduate pre-licensure (Fall semester entry only):
June 1 final deadline for students who are not international students
RN-BSN (licensed Professional RNs; multiple entry semesters):
Fall semester entry
June 1 international student deadline
July 15, final deadline
Spring semester entry
November 1 international student deadline
December 1, priority deadline
Summer semester entry
March 1, international student deadline
April1, priority deadline
8. How long is the nursing program?
The program requires four semesters to complete the program. Pre-licensure students graduate in two years since they must enter the program with core prerequisites. (see #11 below). RN-BSN students (those who are licensed nurses) who enroll full time can complete the degree in as few as 3 semesters. Part time options are available for RN-BSN students and the time for completion varies.
9. Do you have an accelerated program for students who have already earned a degree in another area of study?
There is no accelerated program. Full-time students are able to complete the curriculum plan in four semesters. Many students enrolled at GBCN of Mercer University, on the Atlanta campus, have earned undergraduate degrees and graduate degrees in other majors. These students enter the nursing program as transfer students and complete the program in four semesters.
10. What factors are considered in the admission process for transfer students?
- The completion of the prerequisites for the program.
- An overall GPA (this includes all coursework that has been attempted except or health, PE, orientation, and learning support courses).
- A transfer GPA (this includes prerequisites courses that will transfer into the nursing program).
- A science GPA (this includes transferable science courses, such as Anatomy and Physiology I and II; and Microbiology).
- Quality of the admissions essay.
- Community service and work experience.
- TEAS score (for pre-licensure students)
11. What are the prerequisites for pre-licensure students? (Completion of prerequisites does not guarantee admission)
[NOTE: Are you interested in common local course equivalencies?
- Anatomy & Physiology I (lecture and lab) 4 hrs
- Anatomy & Physiology II (lecture and lab) 4hrs
- English Composition I 3 hrs
- English Composition II 3 hrs
- Introduction to Psychology 3 hrs
- Political Science or Economics 3hrs
- Introduction to Sociology or Anthropology 3 hrs
- Abnormal Psychology/Psychopathology 3hrs
- Statistics 3hrs
- Cultural Appreciation 3 hrs
- Fundamentals of Microbiology (lecture and lab) 4 hrs
- Nutrition 3hrs
- General Education Elective 3hrs
- Speech or Communications 3hrs
- Fine Arts/Humanities Elective 3hrs
- Philosophy or Ethics 3hrs
- Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan 3hrs
- Religion 3hrs
The pre-requisites for RN-BSN Applicants are somewhat different. RN's are not required to complete all the pre-requisites prior to entering the program.
12. What are the average GPAs of the transfer class (pre-licensure) most recently accepted in the program? (Admission to the nursing program is competitive, and students are not guaranteed admission based on the GPAs listed below.)
- Overall GPA 3.38
- Transfer GPA 3.47
- Science GPA 3.32
13. Can I set up an appointment with an admissions adviser to go over my transfer credits?
Once an application is submitted, a prospective student can call to set up an appointment. (Refer to Question 5 above to determine documents associated with a complete file.)
14. Does GBCN of Mercer offer night courses or part-time options?
Pre-licensure students should be prepared to enter a full time program with the majority of the courses and clinical experiences taking place during the weekdays.
15. Can I enter the program in the summer?
The only undergraduate students who can enter the program during the summer are Registered Nurses (RNs) who are seeking a BSN degree.
16. Do you have a bridge program for LPNs?
17. Will I receive credit for working as a certified nursing assistant, medical assistant, surgical tech, LPN?
No, transfer credit is not awarded or certificate for diploma programs (RNs with diploma credit could be awarded escrow credit for diploma courses).The only credit considered for transfer credit must be earned at an accredited college or university, and the course must be applicable towards an associate's or bachelor's degree.
18. I have a prior bachelor's degree. Will this count towards my degree in nursing at Georgia Baptist College of Nursing?
The Admissions Office reviews transcripts and determines if coursework from a previous degree is acceptable for transfer into the nursing program. Many accepted students have prior degrees.
When is the next Information Session?
Prospective students who are interested in attending an Information Session must make a reservation. Attendance is limited and seats fill up very quickly. Pre-licensure applicants may view upcoming sessions by clicking here.