- Completion of a master’s degree in nursing from a NLNAC or CCNE accredited nursing program with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of the following graduate level courses: nursing theory, research, and statistics. Read more about this requirement.
- Unencumbered registered nurse license to practice in a state or jurisdiction of the USA
- Evidence of a strong writing ability, potential leadership, and scholarship.
- Preference may be given to applicants meeting one or more of the following criteria:
• Cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or greater (in graduate coursework).
• Submission of quality GRE scores.
• Distinguished leadership or scholarship; evidence of scholarly writing ability
- International applicants must meet additional requirements for admission - Contact Dr. Barbe directly. Get more information regarding transcript submission and evaluation.
PHASE 1: All applicants must submit-
- Completed application for the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing degree program, including a $50 nonrefundable application fee. Get the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing Application
- Upon completion of the program application, the following documents must be submitted to the Nursing Admissions Office:
• Curriculum vitae following specific guidelines included in the application packet. Request a copy of the required vitae format.
• Copy of unencumbered license to practice in a state or jurisdiction of the USA
• List of references/recommendations with contact information. It is strongly suggested that references include a minimum of one University nursing faculty member; the two remaining references should be from instructors, administrators, or managers who have evaluated the applicant’s professional practice. References are a very important part of the admission selection process.
Submission of one official transcript from all Colleges/Universities attended. The graduate transcript will be evaluated for all coursework associated with admission criteria.
Mailing address for the Nursing Admissions Office:
Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University
Attention: Admissions Office
3001 Mercer University Drive
Atlanta, GA 30341
*NOTE: The applicant is responsible for sending a copy of vitae, license, and references. All materials submitted become the property of the College and University and they will not be returned to the applicant.
Following review of the above materials, the applicant will be contacted by email regarding the submission of an online scholarly writing. The online scholarly writing is reviewed by a selection committee; this committee determines whether the applicant progresses to the next phase.
PHASE 2 - Applicants who meet Phase 1 criteria evaluation will be invited to proceed to phase 2:
- Selected applicants will be contacted to establish an interview date.
- An onsite writing sample is required at the time of interview.
Applicants are notified regarding admission within three weeks from review of phase 2 materials.
Accepted students must complete the following:
- Submit a $200 nonrefundable deposit; this is credited toward the first semester of enrollment.
- Complete enrollment procedures; students must follow and complete all areas on the checklist provided. [Exception: PhD students do not complete the criminal background and drug screen.] If enrolled in summer statistics, checklist items need to be completed prior to the first day of the beginning of the summer session.